“Stand Up Straight”—Minding Your Posture!“Stand Up Straight”—Minding Your Posture! https://frontlineerrichmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Posture-art-680x1024.jpg 680 1024 neal https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/f4e08e09e94a71aead1a1a2e326a38c8?s=96&d=mm&r=g
We all remember our parents telling us to “stand up straight” and “don’t sit like that or you’ll stay like that!”
They really had more than a straight back in mind (whether they knew it or not) when they told us that. Good posture is really a key part of our overall health.
How we hold our body, or our posture, can affect our health in several ways:
- Misalign the musculoskeletal system.
- Wear away at the spine.
- Cause neck, shoulder and back pain.
- Decrease flexibility.
- Affect joints and their movement.
- Increase the risk of falling and impact balance.
- Affect digestion.
- Impact breathing.
How can posture be improved? Try a few of these tips:
- Be mindful of your posture in your everyday activities. Stand up straight, keep your head level, don’t slouch.
- Stay active. Exercise makes your body aware and certain types of exercise help posture and alignment. Tone your abs and work on your core muscles.
- Stretch. Before you exercise or throughout the day, work your muscles and move. Stretching helps prevent injury.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Don’t put extra strain on your back.
- Wear comfortable and low-heeled shoes. Put most of your weight on the balls of your feet. Save the high heels and stiff wing tips for the big night out.
- Be sure work surfaces are at a comfortable height. Don’t slump at your desk.
It is our top priority to ensure the safe and immediate treatment of your injuries, with the goal of getting you back on track faster to good health.
Frontline ER is an acute care emergency room providing healthcare services to the communities we live and work within. Give us a call or contact us through our website should you have more questions about our services.
*Photos courtesy of Unsplash