10 Tips for Flu Prevention
Of all the illnesses that are there out there, flu is definitely one of the most common with the stats that are available by the CDC showing that as much as 20% of folks in the US get the flue every year. It is a condition that I’m sure we all have suffered from at one time or the other. It is also worth noting that the flu, or influenza, is also not the same as the common, cold; most people usually confuse the two, but they are actually two different viral respiratory infections. One of the main differences between the two is that flu symptoms are actually usually more serious and last longer than those of the common cold. If you have the flu, you are also more likely to suffer more serious complications such as pneumonia. Given it is a viral infection, prevention is key as far as flu is concerned, especially since it can get quite serious as explained above. To help with any prevention measures you may want to put in place when flu season rolls in, this article will look to highlight 10 tips that will help you do just that.
- One of the main tips that we have to mention when looking to prevent flu is to get a flu shot. These flu shots or vaccines work just the way you’d expect a vaccine to work, and that is they expose your body and your immune system to a weakened versions of the flu virus and therefore end up offering you protection from the flu. There are lots of areas you can go to and get your flu shot, from your doctor, to the local pharmacy among other places and you should definitely consider getting one.
- If you are at a place where you can’t wash your hands, then keeping a hand sanitizer handy is another tip to help prevent the flu. This will enable you to sterilize your hands whenever you need to and as such keep the flu virus away. However, as is explained by the subject matter experts over at frontlineer.com, using hand sanitizer should always be a temporary measure and you should always still wash your hands when you have the opportunity to do so.
- As is mentioned above, another tip to ensure you stay away from the flu is ensuring you frequently wash your hands. This will enable you to remove any germs you may have picked up, especially from surfaces that may have been touched by someone who has the flu. You should also ensure you use an antibacterial soap when washing your hands for the best results.
- Other than cleaning your hands, another tip that will help you prevent flu is to ensure you clean surfaces in your home regularly. Especially those that are frequently touched. These surfaces, as per the gurus the over at frontlineer.com, include doorknobs, the pieces of your board game, counter spaces, computer keyboards among others. Here, you should also ensure you select the best germ-killing products for the best results. Cellphones and umbrella handles should also be regularly cleaned.
- Another tip that will help in flu prevention as it will help prevent it spreading is ensuring you cover up when sneezing and coughing. You should also teach your children to do the same, by covering with a tissue or handkerchief when coughing and sneezing and encourage other people in the household to do the same and you will definitely see the benefits when flu season comes around and it seems everyone has caught the bug.
- Another tip that is also worth mentioning as far as flu prevention is concerned is ensuring that you keep your distance when in public. As per the subject matter experts over at frontlineer.com, you should particularly keep an eye out for those people that look to be under the weather a bit and ensure that you keep your distance from them, especially during flu season when you know the flu is going around.
- Other than keeping your distance, another tip is to stay away from crowded areas altogether as far as flu prevention is concerned. This is a useful tip that comes in handy when flu season is in full swing. Try to limit your visits to public places such as the movie theaters that are usually very crowded.
- You can also try to be proactive and ensure that you are taking in enough vitamins and nutrients, which can help with your immune system and as such help prevent the flu as explained over at frontlineer.com. You can ensure that you are getting enough vitamins either by eating foods that are rich in nutrients or by taking your vitamin supplements.
- Another tip that will help you prevent the flu is ensuring that you are regularly exercising. This is because, exercising and staying fit helps keep your body healthy and as such will help in boosting your immune system which in turn helps in flu prevention.
- Other than regular exercising, another tip that will help you in preventing flu is through ensuring that you get plenty of sleep. Getting sufficient rest allows your body to recover and as such will also help boost your immune system. On top of getting enough sleep, you should also ensure maintain a healthy lifestyle such as controlling your allergies, not smoking as well as managing your stress.
It is our hope that through the above tips, you will able to keep the flu at bay when flu season rolls in. There is also more information to be found on this and other related topics by visiting the excellent frontlineer.com.